Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Update

Our hospital stay this time around ended on Monday. When I got there to take over for Dave, the doctor came in and said that we could be sent home. The one condition was that Sierra be on IV nutrition at home. So we packed up and came home yesterday, and a home care nurse came out in the evening to teach me all about Sierra's new pump. Sierra has to be on continuous IV nutrition, so her port stays accessed and she is connected to a pump which dispenses her nutrition. It is all set up in a backpack, so she can carry it around. And it works out well to hook it over one of the arms of her walker. After a few days of the home care nurse coming out to walk me through changing the bag, I will be on my own, I did it today, and it wasn't terribly difficult, at least it isn't painful to Sierra, like when I have to give her her Neupogen injections, I got to do the first one today, and it stinks. I have to do it for about another week and I am not looking forward to it.
At the moment Sierra is feeling pretty good. She is still dealing with mouth pain, but it is not as bad as it was because she is able to talk, which she wasn't doing at all last week. Her tummy bug is still ongoing, but not as bad as it was in the hospital, so that is good news. She still doesn't want to eat anything, so we fight her on that all day long, I have to fight to get all of her meds into her each day. We have taken to bribing her a bit, recently she is getting some new Lego sets which she is really enjoying.
Tomorrow she goes back to the clinic for labs and a doctors visit. Hopefully having her on the Neupogen will keep her counts from completely plummeting and us having to be admitted to the hospital again. I think as long as she keeps her fever down that they will allow her to stay home, even if her ANC gets really low.



"Mr Sucky" became Sierra's good friend the other night when she couldn't stop throwing up.

Passed out on morphine.
Sierra decided to take the plunge and shave her head today. She is excited to be able to have it painted or put temporary tattoos on it, and she loves being able to wear headbands with big bows. I think she looks absolutely adorable.

Before

After

Posing with Bubba

1 comment:

  1. Bless her heart, Mindi. What a trooper. I am glad she has a Mom like you who makes the most adorable boys and headband things out there!

    ReplyDelete